Financial Engineer (“FE”) is a professional, non-supervisory position that entails a dual skillset of financial analysis and network engineering. The responsibilities include independent analysis and decision making resulting in recommendations to senior management for technology deployment and product pricing on a project-by-project basis. Projects range as high as several million dollars in capital expenditures and annual revenue. The FE will be responsible for dozens of such larger projects per year, plus many smaller ones on behalf of new and existing accounts. The FE will be involved from the initial inception of the opportunity through the determination of sales strategy, the negotiation of the contract, the issuance of purchase orders and the deployment of company resources during the installation phase. A principal objective of the FE is to ensure the profitability targets of the company are met on each account, while assisting the Sales team in finding a winning approach.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- The successful candidate will have knowledge of the telecommunications services industry from the standpoint of a service provider.
- The successful candidate will have in-depth experience in financial modeling and projections using MS Excel. This will include an understanding of revenue projections, capital budgeting, operating expense budgeting, P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash Flows; as well as analytical measurements such as NPV and IRR.
- The successful candidate will have an understanding of IP networking and VoIP networking using distributed media gateways and centralized softswitch architecture.
- The successful candidate will understand the various modes and media of access networking (e.g. fiber, cable-modem, DSL, T1, MPLS, Ethernet and Internet).
- The successful candidate will have the ability to create high-level engineering designs of customer-premises telecommunications systems, based upon company-approved network components, company databases, site surveys from field-service technicians, information from customer-generated RFPs, input from the sales team, and general information about the site.
- The successful candidate will have the ability to utilize this design for accurate budgeting of capital and ongoing telecom transport expenses.
- The successful candidate will have the ability and experience to communicate with all levels and functions within the organization, from front-line Field Service Techs and Account Managers to the executive level—explaining engineering and financial models and responding to feedback. This communication is both written and oral.